[TenTec] New kid on the block

Dick White KS0M@KTIS.Net
Sat, 22 Jun 2002 09:50:13 -0500

Hello to all of you. I just found out about this reflector and this is my
first post. I was told that someone on this reflector might be able to help
me with my Patagon problem. I have had a Paragon problem for six months and
have been unable to fix it. It first happened on December 30, 2001.

Problem: When doing RTTY in the LSB setting, the Paragon "locks up" on me
when doing a QSO as it goes from transmit to receive. By "lock up" I mean -
all the button lights come on, the frequency changes and cannot be changed,
nothing works and the rig will not respond to any command. The only solution
is to turn the rig off- turnback on and hit the reset button. This puts it
back into the default settings. I have to reset everything (time,
freq.-memories etc.) so I can continue to operate. Needless to say, the
person I was in QSO with is either confused, gone or both. I usually run
about 25 watts of power for RTTY ( and the amp if I need more). This problem
happens no matter what power setting I use. But, I can run a RTTY contest
ok. It has locked up on me only once during a contest when I called CQ
several times in a row. The short contest exchange does not cause this to
happen ( so far). It always happens when I am in transmit too long.

Note: this does not happen when I am working CW. I can run long winded CW
QSO's all day and this never happens. I have put it in CW, key down with 50
watts for 5 minutes and it never failed. I do not have a Mic and the Paragon
has never been used for phone in LSB or USB.  I started working RTTY in LSB
about five years ago and had no problem until last December.

What have I done:  The Paragon was sent to Ten Tec January 2002. They
returned it to me  saying there was nothing wrong with it when they tested
it. I never found out how they tested it when it was in the shop. That is,
did they try RTTY in the LSB mode ??  I never got an answer.  Long telephone
conversations with Don at Ten Tec did not produce a cure. He did say that
the Paragon is very sensitive to RF and I could have a ground loop. I have
reworked the ground system and added more rods and wire. I have put toroids
on everything  and there has been no change. I have tried many things to fix
this, without success. The Paragon was set up at a friends house and it
"locked up" when we tried RTTY in the LSB mode.  My IC-735 back up rig does
RTTY in LSB without this problem.  I still think there is something wrong
with the rig andTen Tec missed something when they had it.  Hate to send it
back.

Comments and questions will be appreciated. Maybe someone has run into a
similar problem. Thanks for letting me in. I have had this Paragon since
Dayton 1998 and I like it so well that I want to keep it. It is by far the
best CW rig ever.  I may give up and dedicate my back up rig to RTTY and
continue usong the Paragon for CW only.

73....Dick  -  KS0M

Richard C. "Dick" White           ks0m@ktis.net
Fulton, MO. 65251-2215

Amateur Radio Station - KS0M    (ex WB0WLX  -  KC0MY)
ARRL DXCC Honor Roll / CW  -  5BDXCC #3295 / CW
Life Member,  American Radio Relay  League