[TenTec] eham centurion 0 review

Clark Savage Turner csturner@slonet.org
Wed, 26 Jun 2002 20:16:19 -0700

On Wednesday, June 26, 2002, at 07:42 PM, George, W5YR wrote:

> The last thing I want to hear/read when deciding on a major radio
> purchaseis a lot of prose by guys who are either madly in love with the
> thing they bought (because it cost so much and they are not about to
> admit
> any disappointment)

Been  there.

> or can't stand the sight of it (because it cost so much
> and they are ashamed of themselves for ever buying it and now they are
> stuck with it).

Ooops.  Been there, too.

> Seldom does either position provide much light on the subject - just a
> venting, one way or the other. Which is fine - helps the reviewer,
> etc. I
> suppose. But does little to convey the performance data I look for.

That is exactly what I believe.  It is fine for what it is, but it is of
no assistance to me in formulating a choice based on my own
specifications.

> So, not putting anybody down, but to my mind there are no unbiased
> "reviews" published in eHam and precious few elsewhere. I do believe
> that
> the ARRL Lab Tests are about the best going and that they can be relied
> upon for a fair and knowledgeable accounting of what a piece of gear can
> do, not how many knobs its has or the color of the display.

Yes, other than occasionally putting a "gloss" on a review, some fairly
objective information is there in the QST reviews.  I do rely on them.

Clark
WA3JPG