[TenTec] In Rush Protection

Duane A Calvin ac5aa@juno.com
Sun, 30 Jun 2002 09:52:54 -0500

Isn't inrush protection for filaments more or less incidental in designs
that use a single transformer?.  Not that I'm an expert on it, but if you
check the handbook or other amp designs, it's usually related current
inrush at power-on related to attempting to charge the large capacitor
bank which presents an almost zero-Ohm load on the HV transformer
secondary.  My Alpha 99 appears to have all voltages available off one
transformer, so its step start will affect all internal voltages
including filaments.  I'm wondering if inrush protection on a filament
transformer really buys you much since, unlike the capacitors, the
filaments, while lower in R at turn-on, will continue to be low-R and
pull high current.  The transformer and supply components should already
be designed for that.  ??   It's been a while since I've boned up on
power supplies!

        73,  Duane