[TenTec] Scout instability-was Orion direction

Ronald Hands ronald.hands@sympatico.ca
Sat, 02 Mar 2002 10:34:58 -0500

robert k stephens wrote:

> I agree with Stuart. If the Scout is operated according to directions the
> frequency stability is more than adequate for the ssb and moderate speed cw
> operation it was designed for.
>
> The problem is that the internal keyer caused instability at speeds higher
> than about 25 wpm or so. Tec Tec said that right in the manual. Use an
> external keyer and the problem goes away.

   I agree that the Scout is perfectly stable at moderate (up to
25  wpm) speeds.
   But whether one uses an external keyer or the internal keyer
makes not a whit of difference.  The Scout needs brief pauses in
the sending (the kind of pauses that happen normally between
words in properly spaced code at speeds below 25 wpm) to allow
time for the frequency-correction circuit to do its thing.  A
leaflet enclosed with my Scout says: "Because of QSK, RIT and
other operating habits, the frequency correction has been removed
during transmissions."  Period.
    In other words, it's not the case that the microprocessor is
so busy handling the internal keyer that it can't do frequency
corrections simultaneously.  In fact, the frequency correction is
turned off when the rig is actually transmitting, and this
applies whether the keying is generated internally or externally.

-- Ron  VE3SP