[TenTec] Scout instability-was Orion direction

Eddy Avila k6sdw@hotmail.com
Sat, 02 Mar 2002 15:59:22 +0000

No problem here....my Scout, electrically, is very stable cuz I can only
dream of sending above 25+ wpm....In 35 years of hamming I don't think I've
ever sent much above 20wpm using a key/keyer....HI!

The Scout does have a mechanical stability problem however when run in
mobile service which is where I use mine...once it locks freq it stays put
unless I hit a particularly rough road (plenty up here in rural CA) then
sometimes -- and ONLY sometimes -- thinking I'm tuning the freq knob it will
unlock itself. This generally is not a problem, however.

I still think the Scout has one of the best receivers in its price class out
there -- the Jones filter is amazing, considering how simple and elegant its
design and use -- I mean, I haven't had to refer back to the manual once
since my first day of owning a Scout.

My 2-cents...........73/k6sdw