[TenTec] Re:Scout instability?

w8au@sssnet.com w8au@sssnet.com
Mon, 04 Mar 2002 14:25:42 -0500

At 10:08 PM 03/02/2002 -0500, Steve wrote:
>Are you saying that Jack W4SON's Scout didn't jump or he at one time
>had a prototype that didn't jump? I remember his Scout as a real jumper.

Yes, Dear ole' Jack just did not do anything with that problem, but existed
with it!
His problem was a hundredfold greater than any other Scout ever had!
This was probably the greatest cause for the indictment of the Scout as a
less than standard performer.   Had he taken care of it early, there would have
been a lot less comment on Scouts.    (I used to bug him about taking care of
that problem...!)   Remember the old adage, "The cobbler's children have no
shoes....(or have poor shoes?)"    Well, Jack, being a good technician for
Aeronautical Radio for many years, fits that description.   He may fix a lot of
equipment for ARINC and other folks, but never gets to his own...!!

Not sure about Jack and the prototype, but my prototype loaned for testing
(and later purchased) was a fine performer and I still use it mobile/CW.
I had also received a "first production run" Scout, which I also used and
found that the frequency correction "loop" DID push the PTO around at random.
However, after returning this unit to TT for repair, (they replaced the RISC
microprocessor) it became as stable as my proto unit.

_________
He now runs an IC-706. I think most die hard cw Scout users have since
switched  to other
>rigs out of despiratation.
_________

Beg to differ on that point.   I still hear them and I have no plans to
retire mine.   I occasionally
pull the microprocessor and reseat it in the socket to keep the connections
good, and it
keeps purring along.   Is it as rock solid as a synthesizer...no, but I
find that wintertime
conditions push the Scouts "lock" limits.... going from an ice-cold vehicle
interior to being
in the 130 degree heater blast will cause the PTO to exceed the 700-800 Hz
lock limits.   I
compensate by turning the little beast off and then back on to reset the
"afc."   Then
perhaps do it again as the car reaches ambient temp.  After that....normality.

As Jack Burchfield told me after I critiqued a few things.... "whataya want
for $495?"
(original price)    :-)   :-)      I'm happy that Jack is a good
businessman in addition to
a good engineer.....   I have to reluctantly agree with him....and TT also
stays in business!

About the IC706.....  I would have one, too, if only the transmitted CW
note and QSK
were at TT level....... they're not, and I won't have one until they are.

FWIW, and 73,

Perry    w8au