[TenTec] Orion, the direction?

Stuart Rohre rohre@arlut.utexas.edu
Mon, 4 Mar 2002 14:28:21 -0600

Rigs are very subjective, and most hams would not have the equipment to
measure some of the fine details some claim to hear.  And indeed, I am sure
there are variances in what operators can hear.  I recently did side by side
testing of a Kenwood 430, 440 and 850 on the same DX signal.  The first two
were on their internal speakers, the 850 used its filtered external speaker.
(this was all SSB).  The signal was actually clearer to myself and another
engineer/ham, than the very fine filtered 850 was giving us.  This was a
surprise, and must have been a version of the case where a small speaker did
not transmit as much audio bandwidth, (sig plus noise) as the larger
speaker, in spite of its passive filter.

It will be interesting to see the Orion filter scheme, once it is firmed up.
73,
Stuart K5KVH