[TenTec] orion

JBA ballen@na800.net
Sat, 9 Mar 2002 16:53:44 -0600

BINGO!!!!
I was wondering how long it was going to take before all the GAH GAH and
drooling stopped and someone was going to realize that besides the cheesy
looking gold trim, S-meter and case, this thing appears to sport an LCD
screen that became obsolete 5 years ago. Since Icom has raised the bar in
the LCD screen world to full COLOR with the ability to insert cityscape
scenes, anything less is likely not to be accepted in the market place.
As for the internal tuner---- it needs be included for $3300.00, or offer
the radio without it for a reduced price.
The radio absolutely must have the capability of being able to operate in
the "Pegasus emulation Mode".
That way Carl will be able to write some really great control software for
it! :-)
I am disappointed that the radio transmitter is only 100 watts output. This
means that compared to it's "top of the line" competition, it has half the
power output. I know a lot of guys like the lower output to drive some of
the lower drive amps on the market. This could be accomplished with a
button, or menu item to reduce the output. When running barefoot, or driving
an amp with a pair of 3-500Z tubes one needs more than 100 watts.
None of the above, with the exception of the non-color LCD display screen,
would matter on a $1700 radio, but this thing is going to be around $3300
bucks! That's about $800.00 more than a Yazoo 1000D-200 watt, dual receiver,
DSP, world class QSK,built-in power supply, and on and on and on.
I'll keep on enjoying my Pegasus.
Cheers!!
de Benton wb5twc