[TenTec] Zero beating

W5UXH, Chuck cbroadwell@adelphia.net
Sun, 10 Mar 2002 10:53:53 -0500

As Steve points out, "CW-R" is an excellent way of getting on frequency.  I
have wished for years that TenTec had such a feature, since my ears find it
much easier to judge the difference in pitch as I switch between the two
"sides", than when comparing the received tone to a sidetone that has
different characteristics (generally) and makes it harder for me to compare
pitch.

I used this method for years with four different rigs, and agree that you
can get within 10 hz easily with this technique.  I also agree with others
that you don't need to be this close, but I sure find it annoying when
listening to two stations in qso and I can't tune to a point where both are
inside my 500 Hz filter at the same time!

CW-R is one of the features I want in a rig.  The other is a single switch
or button that allows you to key the internal sidetone without keying the
transmitter.  My OMNI-V did not have this, but I believe I have heard that
the OMNI-VI perhaps had a multiple step sequence of doing this, so maybe
they are getting closer to providing this option as a single action control?

Chuck, W5UXH

Steve wrote:
> If you happen to have a rig with a CW-R or CW reverse button, you can push
> that button and if you are tuned properly, the pitch will not change.
That's