[TenTec] Zero beating

Robert & Linda McGraw K4TAX RMcGraw@Blomand.Net
Sun, 10 Mar 2002 20:38:47 -0600

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dale L Martin" <kg5u@hal-pc.org>
To: <TenTec@contesting.com>
Sent: Sunday, March 10, 2002 11:09 AM
Subject: RE: [TenTec] Zero beating

> > but I sure find it annoying when
> > listening to two stations in qso and I can't tune to a point
> > where both are
> > inside my 500 Hz filter at the same time!
> >

> People's preference for a comfortable CW tone can vary widely.  I can
> remember when I was at NR5M contest station and operating  with K5GN on
20m
> CW one night during a DX contest.  With our headphones Tee'd together,
Dave
> would tend to pick out and log calls from the pileup that were higher in
> pitch than those I was picking out and writing down for him.
>
> We were able to do two QSO per QRZ -- nr5m test, pileup, (Dave copies:
> gm0abc; me: ua3lr), us: gm0abc 599 tx, him: nr5m 599 100, us: tu nw ua3lr
> 599 tx, him: nr5m 599 300, us: tu qrz nr5m.  Fun.
>
> I used to attribute to those stations calling me more than a 100 or 200 Hz
> off my freq in a contest as having their RIT's on and offset.  I'm not so
> sure now.  As a person ages, hearing losses affect the higher frequencies
> first.  Maybe that's more of a factor than just an inadvertent RIT offset.

I'd think that maybe the RIT or maybe the XIT is on and they don't know it.
Also many of todays rigs use different offsets for CW.  There is no
standard.  The old Collins frequency was 1500 Hz as I recall.  That's way
out of your passband.  I've seen folks tune in a station such that it
produces a 400 Hz note.  They weren't aware that their transmitter was 300
or 400 Hz away.

As to hearing loss with us older folks, yes it does start with higher
frequencies but these are way way above the typical CW note at 800 Hz or so.
If a person is having trouble hearing a 800 Hz note then they most likely
couldn't hear two trains run together.......standing between them.  Now
musically, maybe they can't distinguish between 800 Hz and 900 Hz or 700 Hz
but most folks, even with untrained ears can easily hear the difference.  I
think most is careless operators or one more step toward operators that just
don't care.  Seem to me that it's quanity vs quality in many of todays
operators.

73
Bob K4TAX