[TenTec] KB7OEX: TenTec Blinders

CYR999@extremezone.com CYR999@extremezone.com
Mon, 11 Mar 2002 14:28:56 -0700 (MST)

Hi folks -

For whatever it's worth, I'd like to suggest that its easy to put on "blinders"
in the name of devotion to TenTec products. I've had an Omni C and and still
have an OMNI V - both were/are outstanding rigs. Infact I thought they were so
good that I would not even look at any other rigs (other than my K1 and K2 of
course). I also was thoroughly convinced that nothing could ever replace crystal
filtering. Then I broke loose from the mold and bought an ICOM 756PRO when the
prices dropped after the release of the PROII. As a casual, primarily cw
operator, I have found the 756 to be outstanding. It does just as much and more
for me than the OMNI V. Had I maintained my TenTec only thinking I would not
have had the experience of operating a this excellent piece of equipment.

So what's my point? It's to say that TenTec has some serious competition out
there and that both TenTec and we TenTec users should be looking at the
competition with a very open mind.

If the Orion will cost almost twice as much as something like a 756PRO (granted
they are now in short supply), it should at a minimum have the type of casing,
top quality viewing screen, and all those other little features people have been
mentioning on the reflector. We shouldn't even have to discuss those things.
Excellent user interface and cosmetics should be a GIVEN in this price range.

What we should be discussing is a receiver that is so quiet, so efficient, etc
etc etc, you wouldn't think of going to the competition.

Just my 2 cents worth.

73/Tim