[TenTec] KB7OEX: a big plus favoring ORION

cyr999@extremezone.com cyr999@extremezone.com
Tue, 12 Mar 2002 13:42:45 -0700 (MST)

Hi folks -

One thing that I think TenTec is REALLY smart about is the flash rom. My 756PRO
cannot be updated by flash rom. Instead, you get stuck with having to buy the
"next generation 756" and your current generation suddenly drops in market
value. That's good if you buy the one that dropped, but rotten if you want the
latest changes. Icom's practice of doing this is my biggest objection to Icom.
With TenTec's approach you feel like the rig could be current for a good number
of years.

In another vein, as many of you have mentioned, the OMNI's are TOTALLY user
friendly and the face plates are very easy to read. However, the ICOM 756 is a
no brainer to operate and very intuitive (thus pretty competitive in that
area)....you don't really need the manual. On the other hand it's A REAL PAIN to
read sum of the "green on black" numbers - too small and poor color choice. I'm
amazed that they cannot make an easy to read radio face!

Just a few more thoughts. 73/Tim Logan KB7OEX