[TenTec] KB7OEX: a big plus favoring ORION

George, W5YR w5yr@att.net
Wed, 13 Mar 2002 00:53:10 -0600

Reality check, folks. While I do not doubt what TenTec has told us so far,
it is a little overboard to make such statements as

"The
 software to implement the features and functions in the Orion is more
 complex than the PRO!"

and

"I have a PRO and it is nice but NO WHERE as feature or function rich as
the
 Orion. Much more is being done in the Orion software then in the PRO
 software."

The truth of the matter is that unless you are on the "inside" at TT and at
Icom, no one knows how much is being done in software in either radio since
to my knowledge the firmware for neither radio has ever been released or
even described functionally.

We can make all sorts of guess and estimates and surmises as to the
relative quantity and difficulty of the software in each radio, but again,
there is nothing factual to back up these "feelings" about which radio is
the more complex, etc.

Let us not confuse lists of features and descriptions with hard numbers and
facts. I feel sure that TT will come out with hard data when their design
is firmed up, but until then there is no factual basis for making such
conclusions as are quoted here. Especially in the realm of firmware, there
is not *any* real factual information available about either radio.

Not flaming, just trying to keep everyone's feet on the ground . . .

73/72/oo, George W5YR - the Yellow Rose of Texas
Fairview, TX 30 mi NE of Dallas in Collin county EM13qe
Amateur Radio W5YR, in the 56th year and it just keeps getting better!
QRP-L 1373 NETXQRP 6 SOC 262 COG 8 FPQRP 404 TEN-X 11771 I-LINK 11735
Icom IC-756PRO #02121  Kachina 505 DSP  #91900556  Icom IC-765 #02437

All outgoing email virus-checked by Norton Anti-Virus 2002