[TenTec] KB7OEX: a big plus favoring ORION

Robert & Linda McGraw K4TAX RMcGraw@Blomand.Net
Thu, 14 Mar 2002 07:43:44 -0600

Tom does have some good points, factually.  However, as I understand today's
technology, while practical to do so, not economical to do so.  What Tom
really wants is to be able to create the selectivity and noise reduction
between the antenna and the RF amp and certainly prior to any mixers and IF
amps.  That's ideal!  Imagine a 250 Hz wide filter for CW prior to the RX RF
amp and any mixers.  WOW!  But not in economical practice today!

So manufacturers do the next best thing, put the DSP in the system,
operating at a frequency to which we can afford to by the silicon.  That's
in the lower IF's

Just wait, one day the ideal of today will be here but not today.

And yes if you insist on selectivity like that, selectivity which is prior
to any mixing, it is available today.  Single frequency, narrow bandwidth,
crystal filters will provide amazing selectivity.........for a price.  And
remember they are single frequency.  So if you have your favorite CW
frequency, a filter that 250 Hz wide at the 3 dB points and down 60 dB some
300 Hz from center frequency can be placed between the bandpass filter and
the 1st mixer.  Keep in mind that if the sending station has moved frequency
100 Hz then they most likely won't be heard.  Oh I forgot to mention that
these filters are custom and available for some ~$3000 per frequency. :)  So
we divide the 20M CW band into 250 Hz slices, buy a filter for each one (600
of them or 1200 if we overlap) then the radio front end will cost $1,800,000
or $3,600.000 for overlap frequencies.  Now I know some serious DX'er will
drool at that possibility but in truth it makes the price of the ORION
reasonable and with in reach of every one.

:)

73
Bob K4TAX