[TenTec] Orion / SO2R Definition

Duane Grotophorst n9dg@yahoo.com
Fri, 15 Mar 2002 09:41:03 -0800 (PST)

Whoa there, as much as find all this talk of these
stratospheric technologies for inter-networking
processors interesting, we are after all talking about
amateur radio equipment that needs to be price
competitive with existing models. My point is that
100Mb Ethernet easily achieves that goal. Even though
it is slower than USB serial connection it is a
broader standard and has greater potential for
remoting types of operations, without the severely
restrictive cable distance limitations of USB. Also
the follow on 1Gb Ethernet will soon be price
competitive as well, and will still be inter-operable
with the 100Mb technology.

Suitable or price competitive technology is not
lacking, what is lacking is the customer awareness
that it can be done already and only add minimally to
the hardware expense of our radios. Also lacking is a
general understanding of how it can be used to greatly
expand what we can do with our radios from a
control/display perspective.

I won't dispute with anyone that there is no reason to
do all of this if you only casually operate some CW
and SSB, but most every other mode or style of
operating can make good use of this technology to some
degree. Ultimately it will allow for the shack to
become a highly reconfigurable collection
RF/Audio/Computer/Dedicated control panel equipment.
Not just a few non inter-operable single purpose/use
radios boxes.

Just to be clear my view of this technology is that it
is not intended to "replace" any of the good RF design
techniques but is instead desired as a complimentary
enhancement.

Duane
N9DG