[TenTec] Lightning protection

Tom Rauch W8JI@contesting.com
Sat, 16 Mar 2002 21:06:11 -0500

> That was my real intent in posting the Polyphaser link, although on
> re-reading my post, it did sound a bit like a sales pitch for the
> protectors. Their ham station protection manual stresses that single
> point grounding and a good ground radial system, along with proper
> cable routing and shielding, are the basics.

My point wasn't to encourage or discourage using an arrestor, but
rather that the effects of protection by adding such devices are
largely exaggerated. There also can be damaging effects, if we run
high power and use such devices!

The key is always in grounding and cable routing, and if you can't
do that right you darned sure should remove and isolate all external
connections to the station equipment (power, telephone, control
and antenna) before they get in the room or building!
73, Tom W8JI
W8JI@contesting.com