[TenTec] Orion power output

Tom Rauch W8JI@contesting.com
Tue, 19 Mar 2002 06:05:25 -0500

From:           	Caitlyn Martin <caitlynmaire@earthlink.net>
To:             	"Simmons, Reid W" <reid.w.simmons@intel.com>
Copies to:      	TenTec@contesting.com
Subject:        	Re: [TenTec] Orion power output
Date sent:      	Mon, 18 Mar 2002 15:40:36 -0500

> Hi, Reid, and everyone else,
>
> > I also question the need for the extra 50 watts.  I believe it takes
> > a 3dB increase to be detectable by the human ear, and about 6 dB to
> > equal one 'S' unit increase.  So, 150 vs 100 watts is mostly
> > marketing/advertising hype with virtually no benefit to the user -
> > but a slight benefit to the power company :-).
>
> Thank you.  That verifies what I thought I knew to be true.

One dB (not 3dB) is the smallest level increase recognized by the
human ear, whatever that means. This applies to only a single tone
with no noise or interference.

The one dB rule does NOT apply to signals in noise or interference.
When a signal is in noise or interference, one dB can make a
HUGE difference in readability.
73, Tom W8JI
W8JI@contesting.com