[TenTec] Carl, Pmni, 756 etc

Nathan Moreschi n4ydu@worldnet.att.net
Wed, 20 Mar 2002 03:15:19 -0000

DSP currently has some setbacks but that doesn't mean we should slam
technology. Sometimes to make things better we have to take a few steps
back. DSP is far from perfect but it works well for 99.99 percent of the
people who use it. I'm an avid contester and I switched to an IC 756 PRO
about a year ago. Sometimes I think I'd be better off with a traditional
rig, but in other situations I feel I'm better off going the DSP route. DSP
is going to be the superior way in the future and to me it's a toss up right
now between DSP and analog. There are pros and cons to both.

W8JI has the greatest 160M setup in the world and has the receiving
capabilities to hear certain signals that most of us can not. I believe with
the typical low band setup that most of us have the top notch rigs are all
the same, or near the same. I've used my PRO extensively and I've never had
a serious problem with nearby stations wiping me out. I've used an FT1000 MP
a lot as well and never had a serious problem with nearby stations it
either. When there are very strong stations close the receivers are altered
somewhat, but I've still managed to work the guys in Europe running 1 watt
to an indoor antenna who you can't hear if you breath. Granted these signals
are mostly on the higher bands where noise is less of a factor.

I don't post much to this reflector because I know certain people with big
egos are going to blast me for something I got wrong. This is a technical
hobby and many technical people like to voice their opinions. I guess I
should laugh at a lot of what takes place on the reflector because it is
really difficult to make a point via email.

73,

Nathan Moreschi
N4YDU