[TenTec] RE: Omni V Fm'ing

MW0CDO MW0CDO" <gw7lhi@hotmail.com
Sat, 30 Mar 2002 10:04:53 -0000

Thanks for the info Don.

Yes, I've double checked, and none of the oscillators I can find on the
schematic are powered directly by the incoming +Vcc, all are powered from
REG+ 8.5v or 5v in the PLL compartment. Which ones in the OMNI VI+ are
powered directly from +Vcc? I'd have thought this wouldn't be good practice,
running an oscillator from the main power bus that is likely to fluctuate?

I will replace the screws that are missing, as you say this may be the
answer since TT use the mounting points as earth routes as well. I had to
isolate the sidetone board from the chassis, as I was getting a lot of
talkthrough on the internal speaker and the headphones. This cured the
problem completely.

I did buy the radio used, one previous owner. It was deaf on RX, due to a
faulty external RX ANT switch. He's a good friend of mine, and did mention
that he had sent the radio off a couple of times for repair. It was cheap
tho'! :-)

I'm still waiting for the agc hiss modifications from TT by mail.

Once I have these 2 problems solved, the next step is one of Carl N4PY's v.9
microprocessor replacements. I'm looking for a source of the processor
MC68HC705C8ACP here in the UK, otherwise I'll have to order from Newark
Electronics.

Thanks for your input!

Paul MW0CDO.. another glorious sunny morning here.