[TenTec] TT wants to go nose to nose with the K2????

WA3FIY wa3fiy@radioadv.com
Thu, 9 May 2002 16:55:54 -0400

On 9 May 2002 at 16:01, Larry Kayser wrote:

> At 02:24 PM 2002/05/09 -0400, WA3FIY wrote:
> >I think it's kind of an apples and oranges comparison.  Besides
> >the obvious difference of kit vs wired units, the Argonaut V
> >offers 20 watts,
>
> The k2 does not?

As far as I know, the K2 is 10 watts max.   The BIg difference
for me here is that when I want to run QRP I can do so easily
with the Argonaut V stand-alone and when I want some power I
can drive my 3-500Z to around 300 to 400 watts output which
is about where I run it now.  I drive it with my Pegasus running
20 watts.

> >  many more filtering options, AM, FM,
>
> are these high value options or byproducts for not much in DSP?

They are high value features to me and I'm sure to others as
well.   Looks like the "V" is going to make a very nice rig to
drive transverters for 6 and 2 and the UHF bands.   And yes I
run AM from time to time.   It's nice to have.  I would not call
it a byproduct of DSP.  I would call it a fundamental feature of
DSP.   A rig can be configured with many features that make
sense for very little additional hardware cost or complexity.
There is of course the software cost to amortize, so the
features are not free.

> >general
> >coverage receive,
>
> how popular is this?

I use it a lot when I'm working at my desk.  I especially like to
listen to the HF Air Traffic Control.  The scanning feature
with lockouts is going to be especially nice for this.  As to how
popular it is, look at all the JA rigs.  Do you know of one that
does not offer general coverage?

> >  TCXO [optional], downloadable updates to
> >firmware, Digital mode ready, and so on.
>
> I hear k2's doing digital modes all the time

So does many old boatanchors.  My point there was that from
the literature, the "V" will have the ability to switch between
microphone and auxiliary input easily without an external
adaptor.  I admit, I'm guessing a little bit here.

> I have not seen a significant differentiator yet, I have a sense they
> are after the same market.

I believe these are significant differences and I still believe
that the two rigs will appeal to different groups.  That's the
beauty of the free market system.  We get lot's of choices.

-Lee-