[TenTec] Dayton-one more view

Billy Cox aa4nu@ix.netcom.com
Sun, 19 May 2002 21:46:32 -0500

>Like many others who have commented about the display screen I was not
>impressed. It looked like 15 year old technology. I think TT really missed
>the boat on this feature.

How's that ?  I mean guys, really ... receivers DO work without color
displays ... Does having a color display mean I hear and can copy
signals that I can't with a <gasp> mono display ?  :-)

>They will sale many Orion's due to the receiver specs and unique features,

Yes, I agree ... so what does that have to do with the display ?

>but I feel those numbers will be far out weighed  with the number of radios
>not sold due to the mono screen. They had a chance to sweep the market
>with this rig, they could of converted all the high end jap rig users to TT
>gear.

I own 2xMPs ... the Orion display is NADA as to ranking of importance
when comparing the Orion with the MP level equipment ... (and yes, I have
spent some time in front of the latest Icom 756xxx vintage)

A color display is not what it will take to move the MPs off the desktop
here, nor will the lack of a color display keep the MPs here if the Orion
xcvr proves to be better unit.

>Especially now a days, I think virtually all hams were looking for a good
>radio/reason to buy American.

Valid point ... I compared the MP with the VI ... very close choice, for me
and what my expectations were, I went the MP route ... been trouble free
for many contests over the years. Now the Orion is a new choice ... Mnnn

>A few more bucks invested in the display would have really set the new
>standard in ham radio for years to come.

Help me understand how a "display" impacts top-tier receiver performance ?

Off hand ... I see two advantages for us, the end users, with the mono
display:

1. Lower initial cost of the Orion (stay @ the $ 3300 point and not higher)

2. Lower (if ever needed) replacement cost for the display unit

TU !

73 Billy AA4NU