[TenTec] Re: Orion Concern

Billy Cox aa4nu@ix.netcom.com
Mon, 20 May 2002 13:48:52 -0500

>Perhaps the reason it is not in color is because there is not enough
>information to be displayed that requires color?

Or ... could it be that <gasp> TT has the end user's best interest at heart
?

Consider the IC-781 ... the replacement "display" for it runs about $1K
now .... Interesting that Icom also offers a MONO replacement for about
the $ 300 price point.  (Note: the original 781 display is more of a CRT,
and I believe the MONO replacement is more of a LCD type ...) Also
the IC781's price point was/is roughly 2x the proposed Orion price.

That's a dated example I'll agree ... My point is that TT is known for
supporting the gear after the sale, and for many years. Perhaps this is a
tradeoff today ... to help the Orion owners even more at a later date if
they ever needed to replace the display?

73 Billy AA4NU