[TenTec] Re: Orion Concern

Paul Christensen w9ac@arrl.net
Mon, 20 May 2002 15:17:16 -0400

> I checked, and there IS dual-receive. Spec-wise, the Orion looks every
> bit (you'll hopefully pardon the expression) as terrific as its boosters
> suggest. But for serious sales, a 320 x 240 display isn't ('serious'
> that is.)

My God...there is a simple solution to all of this...

Include a color video port (e.g., SVGA) on the rear of the Orion.  The video port could be made an option: For $100 or so, a
PC-compatible video card is dropped into the Orion.  If you want color, purchase one of the new PC flat-panel LCD video monitors now
available everywhere but K-Mart....maybe they have them now too.

Another useful option to those who want to use an existing PC with monitor is to output the screen data to a USB or serial port.
GUI software is then loaded onto the PC that is a perfect replication of the front panel screen (only its in color).  This way, one
PC and one color LCD flat monitor, can serve a dual purpose.

The benefit is that you can make the display as big as you want depending on the size of the LCD monitor you purchase and the
display will never become obsolete if new LCD/monitor technologies are developed.

Can we move ahead with our lives now?

-Paul, W9AC