[TenTec] RX-340 vs. Corsair II Rcvrs

Jim Reid jimr.reid@verizon.net
Sat, 25 May 2002 08:42:03 -1000

Hi,

For several hours yesterday I was monitoring the
TN3W yl on 24945.  Have yet to QSO with her,  however.

On the 340 she was Q5,  but the signal was never
above S1,  and often well below that,  probably about
-130 dBm or lower using the 2.4kHz BW DSP filter.
The S meter needle of the 340 just barely moved from
the noise level when she speaks.

On the Corsair II (same antenna,  tuner,  and feed, just
A/B switched via an Alpha-Delta coax switch), I could tell
a signal was present,  but there was no copy at all.  I was
surprised at the dramatic delta between the two rigs,
but guess there ought to be with over a decade of
engineering separating the two.

When her signal was at S1,  or maybe a bit higher,  tried
calling when she asked for 7's.  But the JA7's were obviously
much stronger,  as she only was coming back to them.  Had
a look at the prop charts on the TN web site;  sure enough,
signals to/from JA on 12m  were 15 to 20 dB stronger than
KH6....oh  well.

Wonder how the Orion rcvr's will compare?

73,  Jim  KH7M