[TenTec] Results: Pegasus & Tuner Query

Joe Malloy jmalloy@stny.rr.com
Mon, 27 May 2002 17:16:34 -0400

> The results weren't very favorable. Recurring issues included:
>
> 1. poorly constructed (5 users)

Huh?  What was poor about it?  Mine went in easily and seems well
constructed.

> 2. bad interactions with the internal Pegasus SWR metering (2 users)

What does this mean?  My internal SWR varies somewhat with the tuner in,
perhaps that's what's meant, but it doesn't strike me as a problem.

> 3. the PT-11 doesn't perform as well as the AT-11MP (4 users)

Having replaced my AT-11MP (which, incidentally, is for sale; enquire
within) and, with the exception of the power meter in the 11MP, it functions
almost identically.  In fact, the automatic tuner is now rather quiet when
tuner -- no more loud, fast "clack-clack-clack"!

> 4. unable to get a good match across large parts of the bands (3
> users)

I guess it's a matter of how one defines a "good match", but mine does
better than 2.0 to 1 across all bands except 160 (where it shouldn't -- my
antenna is only a regular sized G5RV).

> 5. doesn't use latching relays--doesn't "remember" where it was on a
> band/freq change (5 users)

Now, this is true -- I've been spoiled by my automatic tuner in the K2 (the
KAT2) -- it remembers per band settings.  Considering the cost, LDG could
have at least offered an option for memory.

> Overall, 8 users said that they would NOT buy it again, 3 users said
> that they would.

Add one more user who would buy again in a minute!

> Not a scientific poll by any means since folks with gripes may be
> inclined to respond more than a pleased customer, however, based on
> the feedback that I received, I've decided not to order the internal
> tuner for the Peg.

Your choice, of course, Jeff, but I'm glad I've got it.  To each his/her
own...

73,

Joe, W2RBA