[TenTec] Re: 516 Price in Perspective

duffyb01@fuse.net duffyb01@fuse.net
Wed, 29 May 2002 13:48:31 -0400

A nice analysis, but it is not totally accurate.  The government's inflation calculator does not take into account the growth in manufacturing productivity over the same period.  For example, the price of a product should come down over time as productivity increases (assumes no increase is raw material costs).  To take this further, if there is inflation, the inflationary costs increases are somewhat offset by the tremendous increases in productivity that have occurred over the same time period.  While not perfectly balanced, you can't say that the sale price of a $300 radio would equal $1,200 today.  Maybe the retail price over time would be actually be closer to the original selling price.

A perfect example of this is stereo equipment, CD radios and the like.  30 years ago a good CB radio (if there is such a thing) would sell for around $400.  Today it retails around $100.  A good stereo receiver sold for over $1,000 thirty years ago...now you can get something similar for under $400.

Let's focus a bit on the Argonaut.  The models in past years were more labor intensive than they are today.  Because of technology, the new model uses far fewer components.  Therefore in 2002, the retail price is not totally based on what the radio cost to build, I think it is based upon what TT thinks they can get for it.  The projected retail was originally $595.  I suspect it costs them less than $200 to build each radio (in quantity).  Then the target price went to $695 and now $795.  Why? Because we all talked about it so much and told them we want it and can't wait to get it, ect. Under the law of Supply and Demand, they think that we will tolerate the price increases because the demand has increased.  Had we all cried foul when the price kept going up, and did not put in the advanced orders, TT may have brought the price back down to reality.

Another example.  Yaesu is coming out with the new 897 (I think that is the model number for the new 160 to 440 rig).  So I asked their VP of sales "how much?"  He said they did not know yet, and asked how much I thought it was worth.  I told him and he gave me a range of $1,100 to $1,400.  The retail price is not directly related to the cost of manufacturing, but is more directly related to demand and what the marketplace will tolerate.

Regards,

Duffy - WB8NUT