[TenTec] Re: 516 Price in Perspective

Clark Savage Turner csturner@slonet.org
Thu, 30 May 2002 14:08:36 -0700

On Thursday, May 30, 2002, at 04:40 AM, N1EU wrote:

> Clark WA3JPG said:
> "The Yaesu FT 817, not much of a receiver for rough
> conditions, high current on receive"
>
> Clark, I'm wondering what you didn't like about the
> 817's receiver?  It's no Omni VI, but I've found it
> quite a capable performer with the Inrad/Collins 300hz
> filter.  The ARRL Expanded Test Report numbers for
> noise floor and dynamic range don't look too shabby
> either.  They measured 370ma current consumption on
> receive, which is quite workable for portable gel cell
> operation.

It is just that the 817, stock, didn't impress me at all while I used
it.  And comparing the ARRL tests against those for the K2, well, not
much of a comparison.  Certainly adequate for most operation.  I have
not used one with good filters, though, nor have I looked at the specs
that carefully.  Portable, for me, is backpacking for two weeks in the
Sierras.  The 817 current drain, internal battery capacity and lack of
ATU don't make it good for that purpose.  Still a neat radio, especially
for $599 (or is it less now?)

Clark
WA3JPG