[TenTec] Scout DC Supply Voltage sensitivity

Stuart Rohre rohre@arlut.utexas.edu
Fri, 1 Nov 2002 18:05:11 -0600

Right, right Jerry, on PA, I was not thinking of that; I am not sure what I
meant.  Doing two things at once here! Hi!
If they already have the LDO's then, there is just a lower limit at 12!

I know my Scout gets drifty at 11.5, and figured the regulators are mainly
on the logic chips and for the PTO.  Was hoping there were some wide swing
regulators out there for less than 12 input that would still put out 8 or 10
or whatever they were supposed to produce regulated.  Wasn't the old 3
terminal regulators designed to regulate down until there was a 3 volt
difference between applied and the regulated side?  Maybe it is the
regulated circuit that cannot deviate below its nominal regulated value, ie
PTO for example?

As  said, this topic has come up for years, and I have never had time to
tear down the radio and see if it could be improved.  However, using bigger
power leads than they furnish helps avoid drops with long supply lead run to
battery.
Definitely would like to see them work down to 11 volts input.  As some
said, below that you are overdischarging the "12 volt" Lead Acid types.
73, Stuart K5KVH