[TenTec] Batteries

Kent A. Badger N3KB@webtv.net
Fri, 1 Nov 2002 20:03:26 -0500 (EST)

I've been following the discussion and thought I might pass along my
experience  with batteries......For many years while camping I used a
TS-130S with a husky deep cycle battery and in recent years I've used
the Scouts......I have found that, when the resting battery voltage (no
load voltage) approaches 12VDC, you had better consider the battery
discharged as the frequency stability becomes poor and  further
discharge may run the risk of damaging the battery.......A fully charged
battery may (after removal from the charger) read over 13VDC, but will
drop to about 12.7 or so after the battery "rests."........Please note
that automotive batteries can also be used in portable operation but
they will not last nearly as long between discharges as the "deep
cycle.".......On a recent camping trip, I ran the Scout about 4 hrs/day
for 10 days with no charging and when I returned home the battery's
resting voltage was 12.3V.....For more information, may I refer you to
"Living on 12 Volts with Ample Power" by David Smead and Ruth Ishihara,
RIDES Publishing Enterprises, LLC, Seattle, WA .........Thanks for the
bandwidth......Kent