[TenTec] Argo 516 competition and "adventure" operation

wb2vuf@qsl.net wb2vuf@qsl.net
Mon, 04 Nov 2002 22:28:51 -0500

Here's something interesting: ICOM is showing a ne IC-703 on their web
site. It appears that it is still under development, but it is
interesting to compare specs with the Argo. The ICOM runs 10 W and will
run at 9 volts at a reduced power level of 5 W. They advertise a "low
current consumption circuit design". DSP is audio and may be an option.
Several I.F. filters are available as options (confirming the lack if
I.F. DSP). There is a built-in antenna tuner, but it is for "50 ohm
antennas". The IC-703 is an HF QRP spin-off of the IC-706.

Now here's something really interesting:

 "Suitable for not only ham radio operation, but is an excellent unit
for long distance communications in remote mountainous or desert areas
where effective communications are not readily available. Also, is
perfect as a communications solution for specialized applications."

Wow! Can Ten Tec compete with this? Will the 516 also work in "remote
mountainous or desert areas"? Here's a big area of hype missing from the
Ten Tec ads.

Seriously, what do they mean? Unless ICOM is talking about the export
market, there are very few domestic HF services in the U.S. and these
require type accepted equipment, which limits the field to companies
like Motorola and Harris.

Of course, SGC has their expensive "paramilitary pack", but I found a
really cheap way to militarize my Scout. It is easy to modify an
inexpensive military handset like the H-189 or H-250 to work with
current Ten Tec rigs, and you can wrap a $2.00 camo bandana around the
Scout or Argo.

I have used my Scout portable in a cabin in "remote" Bucks county, PA
and I operated in a "remote" corner of a "remote" parking lot in a
county park on Field Day.

Still, it might help market share if a portable package were available
for the 516. All it would take is a padded case with room for a battery
pack, low power antenna tuner, and accessories.

			73,

			Bob WB2VUF