[TenTec] Delta frequency shifts on TX

wb5jnc@juno.com wb5jnc@juno.com
Sat, 16 Nov 2002 12:57:30 GMT

Greetings all,

I have been hearing a random frequency shift on transmit from my dad's Delta 580 during our contacts on 40M CW. The pitch of the received signal will shift down several hundred hertz (estimated) for a few characters every so often and then go back up. It has to be from his transmitter because the background QRM doesn't change pitch and another op in our roundtable has noticed the same thing I'm hearing. My first thought was the PTO needing a "lube job" but it seems too consistent for that -- it never shifts during a character, apparently only between, and the amount of the shift stays consistent. I'm now more inclined to think something in the TX switching is the culprit, like it is sometimes picking up the sideband  offset instead of the one for CW. Anyone else out there ever encountered this? (Also I don't think he has an external VFO for it, so I can't blame it on that.)

TNX/73, Al

Only $9.95 per month!
Visit www.juno.com