[TenTec] Omni VI Plus freq. readout: WHAT MATTERS

W3UIO amishbuggy37@yahoo.com
Thu, 3 Oct 2002 19:22:35 -0700 (PDT)

First, N4LQ is right on target and has been in all his
posts on the subject.

What really matters is that if someone tells me to
join the group on 3852.5, and I tune my radio until it
reads 3852.5, I expect the group to be there, not on
3853.67 ot whatever. It's that simple, and it has
nothing to do with all that crystal oven and 0.2 ppm
kind of crap. I don't even care if there is a little
drift. Why is this such a problem? Other radios have
been able to do this for years.

Imbedded  within the myriad of garbage which followed
my original post were about three who were willing to
admit that the problem exists.

Actually, all I wanted to know was whether there was a
simple fix or whether the problem is inherent to the
design of the rig. At least I now know the answer.

As far as putting this thread to rest is concerned, it
may just be getting started. It will die when people
stop posting to it.

One more thing. I don't know what to call it , but I
found out that there is an underlying nasty tone which
was somehow unleashed on this reflector -- one that I
never dreamed existed.

A special thanks to those who e-mailed me privately,
and to those others who made an effort to address the
problem.

All the best and good DX to everyone on the reflector.
73, Larry

--- n4lq@iglou.com wrote:
> 1. My TS-930 was designed in 1987 or so and it's
> readout is far more
> accurate than any Omni.
>
> 2. Design technology (as far as frequency accuracy)
> was quiet adequate in
> 1987. TenTec chose to continue manufacturing radios
> based on 1975
> technology.
>
> 3. Using a tuning knob is not the issue here.
>
> All I can say is "get over it". The old Omni 6+'s
> readout is not accurate
> by standards over 15 years old. If you can live with
> it then fine but
> don't bother trying to convince us that it is of no
> significance.
>
> Another thing we all need to keep in mind. Although
> a lot of us,
> including me, like TenTec radios, this mail
> reflector is for DISCUSSION
> about TenTec radios regardless we like them or not.
> Complaints, gripes,
> negative comments are just as welcome as
> compliments. The only
> requirement is that the TOPIC be TenTec. This is not
> the First Church of
> TenTec. Owners, non owners and spectators are all
> welcome here.

=====
Larry, W3UIO