[TenTec] Jupiter Microphone?

w8au@sssnet.com w8au@sssnet.com
Sun, 06 Oct 2002 16:54:20 -0400

At 12:46 PM 10/06/2002 -0400, Ron Notarius WN3VAW wrote:
>2.    I think Ten-Tec holds themselves to a higher quality standard than at
>least some of the other manufacturer's, so whatever the actual cost of the
>mike would, I'm sure they would use a higher quality one.
>3.    Cost to manufacturer is irrelevant.  Do you really think that just
>because the cost of the mike might be $10-$15-$20, that's all that SOME
>manufacturer's would raise the cost of the radio?

ETC, ETC............

Ron, you could also have mentioned that originally, no manufacturers
included mikes with radios.... (or keys, either!)
Hallicrafters, National, RME, Collins, etc. provided a Hi-Z input and
hams did the rest, depending on their tastes....

This "mike included" idea must have originated in the Far East!

You might remember that TenTec was founded by Al Kahn, who had
founded Electro-Voice, which bought RME, etc.   (or vice versa?)  Al was
one of the
pioneer manufacturers....

Ironically, Al Kahn built microphones at EV...  :-)

Ah, history..... isn't it grand...

Perry