[TenTec] amplifiers

Mike Hyder -N4NT- N4NT@charter.net
Tue, 8 Oct 2002 14:52:29 -0400

Depends on the amplifier's power.  A 100 watt output solid state amplifier
takes about 16-18 amps at 13.6 volts.

A 500 watt output solid state amplifier (like the Hercules II) takes five
times that much current at the same voltage.

Most amplifiers are not solid state but use vacuum tubes.  Those amplifiers
usually come with their power supplies.

Mike N4NT

----- Original Message -----
From: <KB2HUK@aol.com>
To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Sent: Tuesday, October 08, 2002 12:56 PM
Subject: [TenTec] amplifiers

<PRE>I have never used an amplifier , my question is this do all amplifiers
require a heavy duty power supply ? when people sell new or used amplifiers
are the power supplys included in the price ? should I run out and buy a
astron 70 amp power supply will it be big enough .  virgin at high power
 John