[TenTec] TWINCOM feedline ?????????????

gr1ns@aol.com gr1ns@aol.com
Mon, 14 Oct 2002 18:58:25 EDT

In a message dated 10/14/02 6:21:36 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
gosier@twcny.rr.com writes:

> Hello All !!!!!
>
>  While looking thru antenna makers listed on the net I went to TITANEX
>  ........ Incredible antennas !!!!!
>
>  But what caught my eye was TWINCOM feedline that looks like a combination
of
>  normal cord used for appliances and coax .................. 250 ohm but
>  similar in respects to ladder line ....... seems like it would be a good
way
>  to get closer to the performance of ladder line ????????????
>
>  Anyone ever use this stuff and what did you think ????????????
>

>  73s
>
>  George Osier , N2JNZ / QRP

Hey George and Ten Tec Group,

I have been using a twin lead coax setup for a year now.  I just bought some
from my local satellite service provider and it works like a cannon into
Europe from my QTH.

At the top where it is connected to the actual antenna, I shorted the shield
together from the twin coax and each leg of the "dipole" is fed by each of
the two center conductors of the twin coax.  The shield is open at the
transmatch (ten tec matching network designed to complement the Omni VI Plus)
and the overall length of both legs of the "dipole" is 200 feet.  (Not
actually resonate on 160 meters, but its all the area I had.) I left it open,
not tying the shields to ground because it does NOT load worth a flip if you
ground the shield at the transceiver.

It is 100 feet above the ground on one end and about 85 feet at the other.
(between two large trees)  The center is at about 65 feet (sags in middle due
to weight of twin lead coax) The end of the antenna is connected to the
transmatch like normal twin lead line and it is well grounded.  This antenna
will load close to flat on all bands from 80 to 10 meters and slightly above
2.5 SWR on 160 meters.

I had thought about adding a vertical section soldered to each side, using
small weights (like surf fishing weights) to keep these sections straight up
and down, near the far, highest end of each leg of the antenna, 30 feet in
length, which should bring 160 meters more into resonance, but I have not
done that yet.  I primarily operate on 20 40 and 80 meters and it does that
so well, I just have not had the time nor desire to mess with 160 yet.

It is quiet and works well.  Hopefully with less loss and no problem routing
it through the floor, out the wall and into the air, like you would normally
have with flat twin lead.  I recommend it.

Has anyone else constructed an antenna like this? If so, are your experiences
similar to mine?

Thanks!

73/Michael K5AWI