[TenTec] Omni 6 Audio Mod

Wa4aos@aol.com Wa4aos@aol.com
Mon, 14 Oct 2002 20:46:50 EDT

Yes, the audio does go through the DSP stuff on the Omni 6+ and it would be a
challenge to reroute it since you would lose some feature functionality. The
raw audio before DSP sounds much better and you should give it a listen
sometime.
The INRAD mod works great but there is one  thing to know. The IF/AF board on
the Omni 6 comes in at least 2 flavors. One is discrete through-the-hole and
the other is SMT. I believe INRAD still provides both sets of parts with
their kit.
Naturally, most of the boards that I have modified were SMT and a bit more
challenging than the older board. INRAD does give a good pic to assist  with
the mod but if you are inexperienced with working with SMT devices, BE
CAREFUL. !!!
It is all too easy to pull a trace and damage the board.

With the INRAD mod, you will notice less pinch in the upper end and a bit
more lows; a nice change from stock. If you like to listen to SSB the INRAD
filters are very nice as well. The 2.8 KHz filter really opens the audio and
the O 6 becomes very nice to listen to.
Then again, I just listened to the Orion and WOW ! ! ! What a wonderful
sounding audio stage. The best audio that I have ever heard out of any HF
Radio. Makes those really nice Collins receivers sound anemic by comparison.
As much as I HATE SMT boxes, I am going to purchase an Orion just for the
audio. Who cares if you can't find parts in 10 years??? Hi

73,
Glenn