[TenTec] Open wire

n8coo@juno.com n8coo@juno.com
Thu, 17 Oct 2002 02:55:04 +0100

Hi everyone,

I thought he was kind of funny...hi hi...of course the Ten Tec users
crack sort of rubbed me the wrong way.

Seriously, though, I think I can understand the point he was trying to
make.  However, I would take issue with that this subject is somehow
endearing only to Ten Tec users.  I have seen this subject discussed in
other venues with proponents of balanced feeders - owning all brands of
radios - and there can be some interesting discussions.   But  lest the
novice or unwary come across this thread and think that somehow open
wire, balanced feeders, tuned feeders or whatever you want to call them,
are the answer - let them know - "use with caution"!   I own a Paragon
and have heard hams complain the logic on it will go crazy in the
presence of RF.  I myself have never had a problem with any of my radios
now since I stick with reasonably matched antennas, coax feeders, and a
common ground with a very short connection to my ground rod.  My
experiments back when with balanced feeders  resulted in rig problems,
(incidentally, an ICOM), computer problems (both directions), high
receive noise, TVI, phone interference, etc.  Yes, I realize my
implementation was probably poor and my attempts to tune the feeders
weren't a truly "balanced" approach, (just getting them through the wall
of an aluminum-sided house is itself a challenge), but my point is, like
most things, is that one size doesn't fit all, and proceed with caution.
 And in closing, I'm glad to see there is a lot of experimentation going
on out there and people trying different things - that's one of the
things that makes this hobby so great.  And I'm the first to say,  "what
goes around comes around", sometimes we can learn a new way to do an old
trick, so to speak.
And if you want dull, that's OK too...I sure hated it when my XYL was on
my case about my operating!  I learned - don't mess with her TV and
phone, hi hi!

73 de Mark N8COO