[TenTec] Open Feed Lines

Robert & Linda McGraw K4TAX RMcGraw@Blomand.Net
Thu, 17 Oct 2002 21:56:22 -0500

Gee, I feel short changed.  I run my balanced feed line up the tower which
has my TV antenna mounted on the side.  The nearest VHF TV station is 85
miles away.  No TVI here, any band, any mode and any power that the
Centurion will produce.

A point on Balanced Feed and baluns.  Most folks don't take the time to
really construct and erect a truly balanced system.  This is problem 1.
Then there's the case where the  little balun in most, yes MOST, tuners is
really inadequate for their stated power levels in the face of a complex Z
which is offered by all non-resonate antenna systems.  For that reason, I
will only use a balun rated at a minimum of  5 KW and the one on my "legal
limit" AM station is rated at 10 KW!  If one wishes to run power, be sure
you have the hardware to handle it.

As to CATV interference, well their signal is supposed to stay "inside"
their cable and it is not supposed to let any outside signal in either for
that matter.  If it does, it's there problem and if a signal gets in from
your station you can bet one is getting out. Illegally!  No questions ask,
no hold barred, it's their problem.  You can bet your sweet bippy that if
the CATV signal interferes with my weak signal VHF or UHF work I'll be all
over their case in a heartbeat.   In one case it did, I wrote several
letters to the CATV folks with no response.  Finally I reported the issue to
the FCC.  The CATV company got a nice letter from the FCC and you'd be
amazed at how many CATV folks showed up in my neighborhood.  Amazingly, the
VHF and UHF CATV radiation got cleaned up too.  Funny how that works.

Finally, if you have problems with RF in the shack, TVI, and etc when using
open wire or balanced feed systems, you need to do some antenna work.  If
changing to coax corrects the problem then that proves that you did not have
a balanced system.

73
Bob, K4TAX