[TenTec] OT: US Flag / Kenwood pins

Ron Notarius WN3VAW wn3vaw@fyi.net
Sat, 19 Oct 2002 13:19:15 -0400

Kenwood gave away the same of similar pin at Dayton.  Having said that...

What's any of this got to do with Ten Tec?

73, ron wn3vaw
"Be who you are, say what you think, people that matter don't care, and
people that care don't matter." -- Dr. Seuss

----- Original Message -----
From: Dave Kamp, KW0D <kw0d@netexpress.net>
To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Sent: Saturday, October 19, 2002 12:58 PM
Subject: [TenTec] OT: US Flag / Kenwood pins

Sorry to interject off-topic stuff, but look at your latest AES catalog;

Kenwood is giving away a free pin with each radio... a US flag, re-depicted
in the shape of an HT, with "Kenwood" and "United We Stand" on the front.

It may not've jumped out at you, but for any who were servicemen or good
boy scouts, you'll immediately recognize that the orientation and
illustration which the flag is illustrated is not legal under USC Title 36,
Chapter 10.  The following sections are excerpted from Section 176, Subpart
A:
--------------------------
(a) The flag should never be displayed with the union down, except as a
signal of dire distress in instances of extreme danger to life or property.
(d) The flag should never be used as wearing apparel, bedding, or
drapery....
(g) The flag should never have placed upon it, nor on any part of it, nor
attached to it any mark, insignia, letter, word, figure, design, picture,
or drawing of any nature.
(i) The flag should never be used for advertising purposes in any manner
whatsoever. It should not be embroidered on such articles as cushions or
handkerchiefs and the like, printed or otherwise impressed on paper napkin
or boxes or anything that is designed for temporary use and discard.
Advertising signs should not be fastened to a staff or halyard from which
the flag is flown.
--------------------------

Now, everyone who knows me personally will vouch that I'm not a vocal
patriot, but I was a boy scout, and at least know how to fly a flag
properly... and I'm rather insulted that it's flown in 'distress', and just
as much by advertising.  If they wanted to give away flags, fine...

But i'm absolutely floored that Kenwood put this together without the
research, and also that nobody else caught it (AES included).  Blame it on
a poorly-educated marketing program?  Did they run this promotion in QST
too?

I'm happy to say that T_T didn't make that mistake, and I'll bet they know
how to fly a US flag in Dollywood...

DK  :-\

73's from KW0D Dave in LeClaire, Iowa