[TenTec] Power power power

Mike Hyder -N4NT- N4NT@charter.net
Sat, 19 Oct 2002 15:48:51 -0400

The trouble may be your antenna match.  Try the tuner or a dummy load as
others have suggested.

I confess to not knowing anything about the Omni VI+ but I had a similar
problem with an older Ten-Tec rig (I think it was a Triton 544).  In my case
the trouble was the diodes which produce the ALC voltage were shorted.
Because no ALC was being produced, the PA would go into oscillation right at
the point you describe as 95% and would shut down the power supply.  A phone
call to Garland at Ten-Tec gave me the solution and replacing the diodes as
he suggested cured the trouble.

73, Mike N4NT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Robert" <bigmack@usa.net>
To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Sent: Saturday, October 19, 2002 11:20 AM
Subject: [TenTec] Power power power

961 P/S  --> TenTec Omni VI+  --> TenTec 238 Tuner -->HyGain TH7DX at 70'

OK, here is the symptom of the problem...

When I load up on any frequency, SWR is really low (1.2:1 or less) and as I
put the power to the rig, SWR stays pretty flat. When I get the knob about
95% open the rig and the 961 shut down. If I back off to about 90% power
(about 90-95 watts) all seems OK.. This rig just came back from TT about a
month or two ago and had a compete alignment etc..    Any ideas/suggestions?

Robert McAdams
KA5PPX - General Class
Ten Tec Omni VI+  &  Drake R8B
HyGain SuperThunderbird Yagi @70'
BC245XLT, DX-398  & highly mod-ed Pro-2006