[TenTec] Open Wire

AC5E@aol.com AC5E@aol.com
Tue, 22 Oct 2002 07:47:31 EDT

Hi Scott: I have a couple of employees who live near that site, west of
Purvis, Ms. But no, I'm about 25 miles from there. This is USED oil well
casing from the Jimmy Carter days. It's been down a bore hole.

Any time you stick a pipe far enough in the ground it will pick up some
radioactivity.  Which makes me wonder if the boffins are correct and our
planet actually does have a nuclear reactor of sorts in the core. Recyclers
won't touch stuff with even a trace of it, because that will contaminate
their equipment. So it's VERY cheap.

I use a Geiger counter to pick out low radioactivity drill stem at the
salvage yard. If you aren't careful about that you can get stuff that's been
down close to the drill bit and it's pretty hot. The public safety folks say
it's safe for casual contact but I would not care for any.

Let me add that the salvage yards also have plenty of large diameter Schedule
80 pipe that can be used for grounding, light duty foldover towers, etc.,
etc. But it costs several times as much.

73  Pete Allen  AC5E