[TenTec] Corsair I power on SSB

Dr.Christopher Kent cbkent@ix.netcom.com
Mon, 28 Oct 2002 20:08:40 -0500

I sent my Corsair I to Ten Tec to repair an ALC problem.  Alas, it was =
intermittent, requiring two trips to Sevierville.

The finals, drivers, and several diodes were replaced.  In the "lock" =
mode and on CW, I get full power out.  However, in the SSB mode, I am =
hitting peaks of only about 35 watts with the ALC fully clockwise and =
the drive control set so the LED lights on voice peaks.  By comparison, =
my Trition IV hits peaks of 90 watts or so when so adjusted.

Here's the weird part:  the internal meter, when set to read forward =
power, hits 90 W or so on voice peaks, as it should.  However, when set =
to read final current, it only reaches 3 or 4 amps on voice peaks.  This =
is consistent with the 35 watt peaks I'm seeing on the external =
wattmeter.

Increasing the processing gives me higher average power, but the peaks =
still only reach 35-40 W.

Ten Tec has been very nice about everything, and didn't charge me for =
labor on the second trip.  They said everything checked out.

Any ideas?

Christopher=20
KG2NP

multipart/alternative