[TenTec] Pegasus vs. Argonaut V - CW Filter Bandwidth

Duane Grotophorst n9dg@yahoo.com
Tue, 29 Oct 2002 21:27:13 -0800 (PST)

I think bottom line tradeoff became tighter filter
skirts vs. good QSK performance. I’m convinced that
better filter skirts could be possible with the
Pegasus/Jupiter DSP hardware - if you are willing to
live with a longer TX/RX turnaround time. For high
speed CW ops that is not likely an acceptable
tradeoff.  I’m pretty sure that the ADSP2181 DSP of
the RX340 is the same as the Peg/Jup, but it doesn’t
attempt to switch between RX and TX though.

Does anyone know if the 516 uses 2.5 KHz tunning steps
for the synthesizer and then make the final frequency
steps inside the DSP code like the Peg/Jup do? It is
an interesting synthesizer design strategy, however I
don’t think there is too much of a DSP horsepower
penalty to do the mathematical manipulations to
support the 2.5 KHZ tuning staps.

Duane
N9DG