[TenTec] Small Ten Tec rig for portable digital ops?

n8coo@juno.com n8coo@juno.com
Sat, 7 Sep 2002 01:48:10 +0100

I currently have a Ten Tec Argosy (analog) that I am working on,
primarily for portable CW ops.  However, I have decided, if possible, I
would like the capability to operate digital modes like PSK31 and RTTY in
conjunction with a laptop and sound card.  Before I expended the time
making up cables and everything I wanted to ask the group a few
questions:

1. Has anyone used the Argosy for digital modes and what were the
results?

2. I may want to pick up a little newer rig sometime, like the Scout, for
CW and digital ops...has anyone had any experience using it for the same
or heard of any experiences?

3. If not the Scout, what are some other Ten Tec rigs I might consider?
I'm trying to stay in the $400-500 range max and it must have 30 meter
capability.  (Of course I might spring for an Argonaut V someday <grin>)

Note: One drawback of either the Argosy or Scout is the lack of PBT,
which I find useful on my Paragon in digital modes with the narrow
filters and shifting the bandpass around to the where I need it.  That
was one thing I never liked about my previous radios and I enjoy with the
Paragon.

Or, maybe I'll just get another Paragon and a BIG suitcase to drag it
around, hi hi...(Of course that would contradict my Small in the subject)

Thanks and 73 de Mark N8COO

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.