[TenTec] HamFest & Argonaut V

Ken Kirkley no4d@charter.net
Sat, 28 Sep 2002 17:20:54 -0400

http://www.northspartan.org/tentec.html for pictures

Welp...just got back home from the radio mecca of the
southeast...Sevierville, TN. Went up again this year to be a part of a very
enjoyable hamfest and gathering. Was special this year in that TenTec was
putting its 2 newest radios on tables for anxious fingers to play with. The
Orion and the Argonaut V were brought out to the operating tent at 5:00pm
on Friday. All eyes were turned in their direction. Amazingly I was able to
slip in through the tent flap to one of the tables as the radios were being
set up. Even more amazing was the fact that I was the first one to operate
the Argonaut V at that table. As a matter of fact, to my knowledge, I was
the first to make a contact with either one of the Argonauts (were two of
them)! WOW!!!

I was able to spin the tuning knob using both the slow tuning mode and the
fast tuning mode until I found a QSO on 14.264. While waiting for a chance
to throw in my callsign I fiddled some with the buttons on the front panel.
Set the rig for full power (20 Watts) and IMpatiently waited for a chance
to call. At approximately 5:30pm I threw my call out and was thrilled to
hear KE1MB, Joe, from MA answer me. Had a quick 5 minute QSO with him.
Received a great audio report on the Argonaut V. He was impressed with what
it was doing on 20 watts into a G5RV antennae.

My impression of the Argonaut V was, "Stan, can't I please go ahead and
bring mine home while I am at TENTEC?" Unfortunately, he told me that I
would still have to wait for it to be shipped in October. :(  For those
wondering, the tuning knob is a heavy hunk of zinc that had a great feel to
it. It had a finger hole if needed for quick spinning. But, with the fast
tune enabled (FUNC key then FAST key) you really fly across the band. I was
only able to spend about 5-10 minutes with the rig due to others who wanted
their turn. <grin>, but the time I spent with it was rewarding. The
controls were all very intuitive. Was able to do what I wanted without the
aid of a 10 lb manual. The receive audio was very good.

Be sure to check out my pictures at http://www.northspartan.org/tentec.html
. These pictures will not appear on a menu anywhere. Only way to them is by
typing in the address or clicking on the link.

What a great trip!
Ken/NO4D (who is awaiting the delivery truck in October)

Oh, by the way, that is me on the bottom line of pictures with the
microphone in my hand and the grin on my face!