[TenTec] Omni 6+ freq. readout: Missing the Point

W3UIO amishbuggy37@yahoo.com
Mon, 30 Sep 2002 10:25:49 -0700 (PDT)

George, if we set up a sked on 14.222.50 MHz, and you
are calling me with your 756 Pro, I will not find you
there with my Omni VI Plus. My readout will be
somewhere between 14.222 and 14.223. It doesn't matter
which Icom, Kenwood, or Yaesu rig we are talking
about: If they set up on 14.222.50, they will all be
almost exactly the same; i.e., almost imperceptable
difference in the sound of their SSB signals. Only my
Omni will be off. Given the price and sophistication
of the Omni, I find such a discrepancy to be
unacceptable. It wouldn't be so bad if there was a
simple adjustment which would bring the frequency to
where it should be.

If several hams meet as a group on a certain
frequency, the typical non-Ten-Tec user will just set
his rig on the agreed upon spot. I will have to tune
to find them. Don't tell me this doesn't happen to
others. A couple of years ago, there were several on
this list who experienced the same thing.

I don't give a rip about discussions of frequency
counters, WWV, crystal ovens, or the like. I just want
to be able to find my readout at least in the ball
park with those of the other stations on frequency. I
recently bought an Icom 706 from a friend, and that
rig is dead on with other stations' reports of
frequency readout.

Go figure.

Larry, W3UIO
BTW, George, what does 72 mean?

Replying to the following two posts:
Would someone kindly explain to me why I need to know
my frequency with such precision?