[TenTec] Re: inrad filters

George, W5YR w5yr at att.net
Tue Apr 15 13:48:21 EDT 2003

Thanks, Tim, but you know that I would never say anything about that radio
here!   <:}

No, the center frequency is a term which usually denotes the frequency about
which the passband is of the filter is symmetrical or nearly so. It
literally is the center frequency of the passband.

I am unfamiliar with the INRAD filter line although I hear a lot of good
things about them. I would guess that there are some radios which have their
insertion oscillators set such that a center frequency of 9000.6 KHz works
better in some sense than one of 9000.7, and vice versa.

Usually this is not much of a consideration with narrow CW filters, since
you can vary the insertion frequency to provide for CW pitch control. Again,
on the IF DSP radios, the IF DSP filters for CW are generated to be centered
on the CW pitch frequency you have selected, and the receiver tuning is
always offset from the received signal to produce exactly that beatnote.

The Handbook used to have some neat diagrams of filter responses showing how
the carrier insertion oscillator frequency was placed relative to the
passband, etc.

73/72, George
Amateur Radio W5YR -  the Yellow Rose of Texas
Fairview, TX 30 mi NE of Dallas in Collin county EM13QE
"In the 57th year and it just keeps getting better!"
<mailto:w5yr at att.net>