[TenTec] Ten Tec vs. Inrad 9 MHz Filters

Duane Grotophorst n9dg at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 15 16:30:53 EDT 2003

It is also conceivable that these "gentle" qualities
of the TT filters may be more desirable in the role of
roofing filters than a sharper filter which may have
more ripple and/or ringing. I would also have to
believe that for roofing filter purposes it’s the
"cleanliness" of the filter passband shape which is
most important, not its ultimate skirt selectivity.

Since the Orions’s true and final RX selectivity is
achieved in the DSP-IF the important roofing filter
qualities and requirements are somewhat different than
they are for an analog only RX design. As such I
wouldn’t automatically assume that a “superior” 3rd
party crystal filter will make the Orion better, it
might actually degrade the Orion’s overall
performance.

Duane
N9DG

--- "Dr. Gerald N. Johnson, electrical engineer"