[TenTec] Enhanced SSB

Paul Christensen, Esq. w9ac at arrl.net
Fri Apr 18 16:16:19 EDT 2003

> damping to let the microphone hear only the "golden tones" of the ham
> transmitting. AM broadcast doesn't even allow going to 15 KHz.

Prior to the implementation of NRSC mask in the early '90s, AM Broadcast stations had no upper limit.  The NRSC mask now effectively
limits the audio passband to approximately 9.5 kHz....and the service still sounds poor despite attempts by broadcast stations and
receiver manufacturers to improve the quality.

WOR in New York has been experimenting (yes, even broadcasters are allowed to experiment just like hams once were) with digital IBOC
but the jury is still out on whether it can be a viable mode given sky wave propagation, fading, noise & interference, etc.  The
IBOC receiver goes into an analog "blend" mode when the BER reaches a pre-determined threshold.  I haven't heard it, but I can only
imagine...

-Paul, W9AC