[TenTec] Is the Orion Performance Table COorrect?

Jay Bromley w5jay at alltel.net
Thu Apr 17 21:39:18 EDT 2003

:-)

73 de jay..

----- Original Message -----
From: "James R. Duffey" <JamesDuffey at comcast.net>
To: <tentec at contesting.com>; <jimr.reid at verizon.net>
Sent: Thursday, April 17, 2003 7:30 PM
Subject: [TenTec] Is the Orion Performance Table COorrect?

There appears to be an error in the performance comparision posted on the
Ten-Tec site:

                     5 kHz 2 tone 3rd order dynamic range 5 kHz IP3
IP3

ORION 101 dB +24 dBm

Elecraft K2 88 dB +1 dBm

Ten-Tec says that the K-2 numbers are from ARRL product reviews, 14 MHz,
preamp off.

The ARRL procuct review lists these numbers for the K-2

Two-tone, third-order IMD dynamic range: Two-tone, third-order IMD dynamic
range (700-Hz IF filter):

14 MHz  98 dB

Third-order input intercept point: Preamp off
14 MHz +21.6 dBm

These numbers seem to be different, that is  better, than the ones Ten - Tec
posted.

The Orion performance is still better, but not by as much of a margin.

I was going to post the Ten-Tec numbers on the Elecraft list and thought I
would check them first. Does anyone have an idea where the difference is? Or
did I miss something obvious? - Dr. Megacycle KK6MC/5